Thursday, August 24, 2006

Roger Deakins on B&W vs color.

The issue "B&W vs color" is often debated on Internet forums. The cinematographer Roger Deakins,

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005683/

who shot the film "The Man Who Wasn't There" to be shown in black and white is asked in an interview on the DVD for that film to comment on that issue. Here is part of what he says -- it happens about 22 minutes into that interview.


“I think I see things more in black and white. That’s not really right the right way of putting it. I see things more as composition and the way light falls on things rather than seeing it as a series of pieces of color. That the pieces of color don’t give me --- they don’t define what I’m looking at. That’s what I was saying before. They’re almost a distraction."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home